Friday, May 27, 2011

Brew #4: My Own Recipe

Exciting times when you become confident enough to create your own recipe. This doesn't adhere to any style that I know of but me just wanting to try different malts.
This time, Dark Munich and Honey Malt are the stars of this bill. Honey malt is a crystallized malt that should add an intense sweetness to the brew. I am only using 6% HM so it shouldn't be too overbearing which is good because I am not a big sweet fan (I love black coffee). The Dark Munich will not give you a dark beer but will enhance the aroma and taste of these beers. Some descriptors that I have researched are: biscuit, honey, nut, and caramel. As it stands, it looks like this is going to be a sweet, full bodied gold-copper coloured beer.

UPDATE: Things change during brewday and this is no different. I added Basil and 1/2 Oz of Mt Hood hops at 5 min left. I blogged about experimental beers earlier and a honey basil idea was included in that blog. So, what the hell.

Basil Ganglia Ale (musician I knew)

9LB / 4.08 KG Domestic 2 row
1.5LB / .67 KG Dark Munich
12OZ / .34 KG Honey Malt
8OZ / .22 KG Flaked Barley

1OZ / 29G Goldings 60 Min
1OZ /29G Goldings 20 Min
.5OZ /14.5G Mt Hood hops 5 Min
a bunch of Cinnamon Basil 5 Min

I will be reusing 1335 yeast from the Irish Red. Reusing yeast (if it works) is awesome because it reduces the costs considerably. This is also the first time I am attempting this.

No comments:

Post a Comment