Sunday, May 8, 2011

Wah! Wah! Sassafras Red

It's almost an Irish red but I decided on using domestic Manitoba malt instead of the traditional Maris Otter or UK malt and it is .75 cents/kg cheaper than MO. This time I am using Flaked Barley and chocolate malt to give it some head and body. The flaked barley supposedly will give the beer a grainy taste and will lend excellent head retention. The chocolate malt is my 'character' malt that should impart complex vanilla/caramel flavours. The Irish moss that I will be adding will add clarity to the brew. However, the flaked barley might give it a hazy appearance.
I am making this for a party that is happening in about a month. Hopefully, it will be conditioned enough for the event. I also have a 2 liter bottle of my California Bastard saved for the event.


KG LB
4.08 9 Domestic 2 row
.335 .75 Flaked Barley
.23 .50 Crystal 77 L
.07 .12 Chocolate Malt

30G 1 OZ Goldings Hops 60 min
30G 1 OZ Goldings Hops 5 min
1 1/2 cups honey to raise the poor OG of 1.030
1 TSP Irish Moss 15 min

The photo above is of Flaked barley.

No comments:

Post a Comment