Monday, April 25, 2011

Growing Hops

Well, this is the time of year that blogging brewers talk about growing hops. Now it's my turn.
When we moved into our house 3 years ago, there was a prickly vine growing on the north side of the house. I liked that vine. It grew on my chain link fence giving an excellent privacy cover.
It wasn't until this year in January when I started my beer research that I realized this was a hop vine. Because it was on the north side, there were no flowers and I never thought it was anything but a random vine.
I am now in the process of digging up some rhizomes/rootings of the vine and transferring it to the west side of the house where there is plenty of sun.
My big question is: What the hell type of hops is this? I found this website which shows the different types of hop cones. I guess I might have to wait till the fall before I can figure out what variety it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment