Monday, April 11, 2011

Cali Common Yeast Starter

I sure hope I didn't bung this up. I smacked the WYeast 2112 at noon and by 6:00PM, there was no expansion in the packet. I went to MrMalty.com and it told me to make a 2.1 liter starter. That seems like a lot. I am also worried because I didn't notice the manufacture date of the yeast when I bought it. It was October 20, 2010. Wyeasts are good for 6 months after the manufacture date.
I did a gravity readings of the starter: O.G 1.050 F.G 1.050. I pitched it anyway. 17 hours later, there was absolutely no activity - so I emailed the beer store and the owner replied with: "The best advice I can give you is to get a viable yeast into that beer as soon as you can. Even getting a dried yeast in there is better than leaving it longer. If it sits for too long without activity there is a greater chance for bacterial spoilage"
So, as soon as my wife came home from work, I raced out of the house, drove across the city in rush hour and picked up another pack of Wyeast. Instead of the Cali-Lager, I picked up the American Ale Yeast. My first beer used that yeast and it turned out fantastic. I smacked it in the car, and by the time I got home, it was already starting to inflate. I quickly sterilized everything I needed to and pitched the yeast.
I sure hope I didn't bung this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment