Saturday, May 14, 2011

Red Ale Update

I brewed the red on Tuesday after the boys went to bed. I started the process at 6:30 PM and crawled into bed at about 2:00 AM. This brew did not go to plan. That's funny because so far only my first beer went off without a weird hitch. This time my efficiency sucked. For some reason, I couldn't get my mash temperature above 146f. The sugars didn't convert properly and I received an OG of 1.030 which would give a maximum ABV of 3.9% and probably end up as 3%. Unacceptable. I had no other option but to raid the pantry for some tasty fermentables. I decided upon 1 1/2 cups of wildflower honey. I added the honey at 15 minutes left in the boil. My OG turned out to be 1.050 / max 6.4% ABV. That's a lot better and the wort tasted nice. The recipe called for .5 OZ of Goldings hops at the end of the boil and in an impulsive move, I threw in an ounce instead. The hops I buy come in 2 Oz packages so I decided not to save the hops for a few months down the road but to use it now. The yeast is presently doing its job. Looking forward to trying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment