Monday, May 23, 2011

Bottling Sucks

Yes, it does.

If I had the money to get into kegging, I would be all over it, but unfortunately, that is not feasible at this time.
I usually start cleaning the bottles the day before. I funnel small amounts of bleach into the bottles, fill it up with hot water and wait for a couple hours. I rinse them out at least three times to make sure there is no chlorine remnants (not interested in beer smelling and tasting like bandages). After that, I pour sanitizer into each bottle shortly before bottling.
I then get the bottling bucket cleaned out, prepare priming sugar, transfer the beer into then bucket, then get ready to bottle.
Yesterday, my bottle wand filler broke as I was trying to insert it into the auto siphon just before I was to fill the bottles. A bunch of scenarios ran through my mind as to what I should do. Sunday night and stores aren't open, should I just forget about the filler and siphon without it but I envisioned the waste of beer and quickly scrapped that idea. I just used the shorter length of the filler. I had to hold the bottle up instead of having it on the floor.

Capping is pretty easy and I don't mind that but with a keg you clean it and siphon the beer into it, force carbonate and let condition.
A four to six hour process down to a max two and less chance of infection...hmmm.
Too bad I don't have the money for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment