Monday, May 14, 2012

Head Retention

I have made over 20 beers with varying degrees of head retention from okay to good but since I tried a new technique, it is now awesome. My secret? I switched cleaning products. Previously, I just used dish soap to clean all my plastics and then rinsed my buckets et al as well as possible. Obviously, I sanitize after. I was aware of head retention problems due to soap but I figured if I rinsed thoroughly, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Well, I was wrong. I switched to OxiClean two beers ago and now my head retention is phenomenal. The head remains right to the end of the beer. The only drawback is that I have to pour it more carefully or the head gets out of control and I need to wait until it calms down.
I know there are other variables to head retention but a proper cleaning will do wonders for retention.

No comments:

Post a Comment