Saturday, June 18, 2011

BEER #5: Orange Copper Ale (Citrus City Ale)

I found this recipe at brewingkb.com. It is a very well-received recipe that has gotten a lot of rave reviews and recommendations. So, I figured I give it a try. I don't really care about replicating a brewery beer so if it is not like the African amber, I could care less. I have made two changes; I used a lighter colour crystal and added a pound of base malt. My beers have been on the darker side as of late and I want to add some latitude in my colour spectrum. The crystal 45L will give it some colour but hopefully not too much.
The two things that I haven't done yet are: add orange and dry hop.

Citrus City Ale: 5 gallon batch
4.53 KG / 10 LBS 2 row pale
.45 KG / 1 LB Munich
.22 KG / 1/2 LB Crystal 45

29 G / 1 OZ Centennial 60 min
29 G / 1 OZ Dried Orange peel 30 min
29 G / 1 OZ Cascade 1 min
29 G / 1 OZ Dry hop Cascade 7 days after primary
1098 Wyeast British Ale

In hopville.com, it states the OG should be 1.058 and the F.G 1.015. I've always had problems with my efficiency so I'll be focusing on extracting as much sugar as possible. I also haven't decide whether I'll dry hop in the primary or rack it to a secondary and then dry hop. I do plan on reusing the yeast because it is very cost effective that way.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try the Citrus City! Great idea for a summer beer. It sounds so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete