Saturday, July 9, 2011

It's Time for a Cream Ale

Why not? Actually, I changed my mind in the beer store. It is now a Golden Ale.

Sure, it is a light, fluffy drink with little to no character, but there is a challenge to the process. Fuller-bodied beers can mask any off flavours that can appear due to poor sanitation and careless technique but a cream ale Golden Ale just stands there naked waiting to be scrutinized by anyone with a palate and at least one working eye.
Another characteristic of a cream ale Golden Ale is crystal clarity which is definitely not one of my beers defining qualities.
Usually, The cream ale Golden Ale has a very simple grain and hop bill but I'm going to spice it up a little with some Vienna malt to add a little toastiness.

Cream Ale Golden Ale

4.08 KG / 9 LBS Domestic 2 Row
.90 KG / 2 LBS Vienna Malt
.34 KG / 3/4 LB Flaked Corn
.30 KG / 1/2 LB Crystal Malt 10L

20 grams centennial 60 min
15 grams saaz 10 min
29 grams saaz 1 min

Harvested 1098 British II Yeast

I have a feeling that this will have a little more character than the normal Cream Blond but, hey, it's my beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment