Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Ale "X" Old Ale

On March 2, my wife, Stefanie, gave birth to a baby boy that we named "Alexander". In honour of this occasion, I will be making Ale "X",a 10% ABV OLD ALE that I plan to drink once a year for the next ten years.
A BJCP descriptor for an Old Ale: Flavor: Medium to high malt character with a luscious malt complexity, often with nutty, caramelly and/or molasses-like flavors. Light chocolate or roasted malt flavors are optional, but should never be prominent. Balance is often malty-sweet, but may be well hopped (the impression of bitterness often depends on amount of aging). Moderate to high fruity esters are common, and may take on a driedfruit or vinous character. The finish may vary from dry to somewhat sweet. Extended aging may contribute oxidative flavors similar to a fine old Sherry, Port or Madeira. Alcoholic strength should be evident, though not overwhelming. Diacetyl low to none. Some wood-aged or blended versions may have a lactic or Brettanomyces character; but this is optional and should not be too strong.

ALE "X" Old Ale
5.0 KG Malteurop 2 row pale malt
3.0 Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
1.0 Wheat Malt
0.45 Flaked Barley
0.35 Crystal 75L
0.3 Cane Sugar Syrup
0.2 Honey
0.15 Black (Patent) Malt

60 grams Fuggles @60 min 4.5 AA
43 grams Perle @60 min 7.5 AA
1728 Wyeast with 3 liter starter

There is a very good chance that I will boil some first runnings for a time. I really like the effect that it gives, an almost burnt caramel taste and aroma. That lasts a long time which will add another layer to the taste profile. The sugars that I am using is straight from my cupboard. I am not going to bother going out of my way to get sugars, what I have laying around should suffice.
This should be a tasty beast if you are the type of person who hangs around the sharp cheese spread at high brow parties and forgets to mingle while you are drinking port and eating cheese.
This is a ten year journey. I hope all goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment