Sunday, October 23, 2011

RAMROD - Beer # 11

I was hoping to make an American Brown style beer with homegrown hops (thanks to Rod) but the LHBS did not have any Carafa Malt, so in a hasty decision, I went with Brown Malt. The beer turned more amber than brown due to the substitution and the taste will probably be considerably different. Definitely will not be as heavy or 'roasty' of a flavour profile but it should be reasonably biscuity/nutty due to the biscuit malt and my home toasted Oatmeal flakes that I added to the mash.
When coming up with this recipe, I thought about showcasing the hops that Rod gave me (Brewer's Gold and Willamette) but homegrown hops that haven't been tested can be fairly unpredictable and perhaps low in potency. That would be fine if I was making a summer session beer but winter is creeping up steadily so I figured I'd go the maltier way and produce a beer that would be more fitting for the Winnipeg Winter months.
My prediction for this beer: Low hop bitterness with a nice toastiness and a subtle nutty flavour. This should go very well with bacon and eggs.

RAMROD
4.65KG / 10.25LBS Domestic 2 row
.565KG /1.25LBSBiscuit Malt
.340KG /12OZBrown Malt
.260KG /9OZ Home Toasted Oats
60Grams / 2OzBrewers Gold Hops 60 mins
30Grams / 1OzBrewers Gold Hops 30 mins
8.5Grams / .3OzWillamette Hops 5 mins

(Rod's Willamette vine produced very little hop cones this year but his Brewers Gold was bountiful at about 9 ounces)

No comments:

Post a Comment