Thursday, September 15, 2011

Triple Split Brew (Mild, Ginger, Pumpkin Pie)

Last weekend, I brewed 8 gallons of wort to get one 5 gallon carboy of British Mild, one 1 gallon growler of Pumpkin Pie beer, and one 1 gallon jug of Ginger beer:
British Mild
5.45KG 12LB Maris Otter 2 Row
.45KG 1LB Crystal 45 L Malt

60GR 2OZ Fuggles hops at 60 minutes
1275 Thames Wyeast
Nothing fancy there for the mild. It has just a little bitterness (29 IBU) but no flavour hops. I wanted to keep that end pure so when I added the adjuncts for the other beers, they wouldn't be competing with the aroma hops. This is also the first time trying Maris Otter and I wanted to see what it actually tasted like.
Ginger Beer: Near the end of the boil, I transferred about a gallon of wort into another brew pot and added a 1/2 tsp of lime zest at 5 minutes left then about 1/2OZ of grated ginger root at flameout.
Pumpkin Pie Beer: I mixed together3/4teaspoon of McCormick mixed spice,1/4teaspoon Cinnamon, 3 teaspoons dextrose into a cup with some water and microwaved that for about a minute. I put the mixture into a 1 gallon carboy and racked the British Mild into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment